Short but to the point – common mistakes still photographers make when starting to shoot video:
1. They break timecode (only applies when shooting to tape)
2. Bad audio – audio is everything in video.
3. They don’t turn the camera on soon enough.
4. They turn the camera off too soon (thinking in the “decisive moment)
5. Use auto – focus.
6. They don’t shoot sequences – beginning, middle and end
7. They don’t shoot in “storyboard mode” – “How will I get into and out of a shot and what’s next?”
8. They pan and tilt and zoom in and out – too much – the motion should come from the subject matter – not necessarily the camera.
9. They don’t shoot enough B-roll with variations.
10. I’m open to suggestions as to what #10 should be – feel free to chime in.